Thursday, April 14, 2011

Red

           Red edited by Amy Goldwasser is a book of essays written by teenage girls. These essays give you a feel for how teenage girls think, and how their lives are. I found this book really interesting and actually enjoyed it. I always raced my way through one essay, to get to the next one because they were just so good.
           The creativity and language of each essay is what really captivated me. I felt like I was in the mind of each girl, and a part of their life. In one essay "The Fourth Floor" by Kathryn Pavia, her language is so beautiful and you feel like you're really there in that very moment. When she says "The elevator thumped rhythmically as the numbers lit up, counting down three... two... one..." I felt like I was in the elevator. I could hear the "beep, beep, beep" in my head, and the smooth feeling of riding. Another thing she says in this is "The cafeteria was quiet except for the hum of coolers and heat lamps, some muffled footsteps, and bits of conversation seeping in from beyond the sliding doors." For this line, I actually closed my eyes for a second. And I was able to hear and picture it. However, it was then cut off by the sound of my Maltese, Spike's barking.
           I thought it was really cool to get in the mind of other teenage girls. It's crazy to see how similar our lives are, and that we're not alone. We face a lot of the same things, and it's great to see how others cope, or deal with these situations. People don't only learn from their mistakes, but others as well. Sometimes it takes a tragedy or something unfortunate for someone to learn not to do it.
           I learned a lot from these girls. I wouldn't say that they've made a huge difference in my life, or I am influenced by them, but they've changed certain things I do. Boys, girls, family, drama are a part of every one's life. The way you handle it is what matters, though. You can get involved, mad, or sad. But what changes your opinion or the way these things interfere with your life all depends on what you do with it. These girls showed me that it's okay to be nervous, scared, feel alone, etc. Because you're not the only one that feels that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment