Monday, June 6, 2011

The House on Mango Street Part II

             I'm ecstatic and sad to have finished The House On Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. I'm happy because I wanted to see what happened at the end, but sad at the same time because it was such an amazing book. I found myself not wanting to put it down, and wishing it was longer because Esperanza's story was so good. She's a character that I've actually learned so much from. Not only about coming of age, but how to be a strong, caring, and kind person. She has gone through a lot yet still manages to put a smile on her face.
            One thing I took from this book was how much it means to be kind. Esperanza has such a passion for people, and never judges anyone. One line that stuck out to me was "One day I'll own my own house, but I won't forget who I am or where I came from. Passing bums will ask, can I come in? I'll offer them the attic, ask them to stay because I know how it is to be without a house." Although she doesn't have her own house, she still dreams big. And she doesn't let any of the negative people in her life affect her feelings towards people in general. Many people wouldn't open their homes to bums. But she looks at them differently, and doesn't judge a book by the cover, but by the pages. Some people say struggle makes you stronger. Esperanza's story is a perfect example of this.
             Another thing that I got from that quote was to never forget where you come from, or who you are. As we grow up, we struggle to find who we are. Sometimes in the process to do so, we forget where we come from. Although you might be ashamed of your upbringing, where you live(d), it makes us who we are. Every obstacle, or achievement is another lesson learned, and it only makes us stronger as a person.
              Not only was this book incredibly inspiring and such an interesting story, it was also written beautifully. There's so many things that I took away from this book. I STRONGLY recommend this book to anyone, and everyone. Before reading this book, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, and was only reading it because I had to. But while reading it, I've learned to never judge a book by its cover. I've learned this from Esperanza. This was an amazing reading experience for me, and this is definitely one of my favorite books I've read this year!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you had such a good reading experience with this book!

    ReplyDelete